Skip to content

Air Conditioner and Heating Replacement Options

What options should I consider when buying a new air conditioning system in Fort Worth, Tx?

The thermostat

A digital thermostat is a must, they are more reliable and accurate, nowadays smart thermostats are a trend and to some people, a tool. They are programmable, you can control them through phone apps and some also learn as you adjust them, so they eventually program themselves. Smart thermostats can read percentage of humidity in your home besides temperature, this is an option that can definitely increase the comfort in your home tremendously. They can be paired with other smart home devices, light switches, cameras, smoke detectors and much more.


Indoor heating system

Furnace or Air Handler, this depends if your heater uses gas or electricity.

Gas furnaces

Years ago, furnaces used to be single speed systems only, meaning that they are either on or off. They were commonly known as 80% furnaces, meaning that about 80% of the fuel was used to heat your home, the other 20% was wasted. 

New efficient furnaces have 2 or 3 stages, so your furnace can run at a lower power and fuel consumption and still heat your home while you save money. They also have different options regarding the blower motor, which is the motor that moves the air in your home. Motors can be single-speed, variable speed, or ECM motors. To sum all of this up, you should consider 80%, 90%, and 95% furnaces when looking to upgrade.

Air Handlers

Air handlers are used in homes with no gas or where a customer prefers to use electric heat or a heat pump. Air handlers come with single-speed blower motors, variable speed, and ECM motors. An electric heater is added to air handlers which can be used as the primary heating source or as a backup heater if the air handler is paired with a heat pump. The Air handler plus Heat pump combination is an option to consider when you want to save money while heating your home. As an example: a 1500sqft home can use approximately 9.68 kilowatts per hour; a heat pump for the same house uses an average of 3.2 kilowatts.

furnace, installation,filter,new,upflow,

Schedule a FREE comfort consultation in person

Schedule a FREE comfort consultation online

The Condenser or Heat pump

Most of the time, the most common term you will hear when looking for a new condenser is SEER. Condensers go from 14 up to 20 plus SEER in energy efficiency; you will also hear about watt consumption and stages. To simplify this, when replacing your condenser, you should look into single stage, 2 stage, and Variable capacity systems when you are considering comfort and energy savings as an end goal.

2 stage condensers or heat pumps are designed to run primarily in low stage; this uses less energy and enables the air conditioner system to run longer, as it dehumidifies and cools your home better. 

Variable capacity systems have more than 2 speeds or stages, allowing them to run longer, sometimes up to a 30% capacity. Like 2 stage systems, the purpose of lower speeds is to save energy, lower humidity, and cool a home with more even temperatures. Variable speed condensers use DC high energy-efficient motors controlled by what the smart thermostat reads in your home. These systems come equipped with indoor and outdoor sensors that report temperatures, pressures, energy consumption, and much more, allowing them to adjust as needed in order to provide comfort and energy savings.

condenser, air,conditioner,heat,pump,ac

Comfort Air DFW, offering ac repair, heating repair and HVAC system replacement